Signs of Healthy Decks
1. Water Repellence
Here is a quick and easy way to test your deck’s protective seal.
- On a dry day, pour about ¼ cup of water on the deck.
- Return in about 20 minutes. If the water has absorbed into the wood creating a darker ring around the drops of water; the deck sealer is nonexistent and the surface is exposed to the elements.
- If the water is still present, and there is no sign of water absorption your deck is protected.
- Test your deck again in the fall, before winter.
2. Smooth to the hands and feet
Lignin acts as the glue that holds all the wood fibers together in a board. Without the proper deck maintenance, wood is left vulnerable to UV sunlight and moisture that can damage the lignin causing splinters.
3. Boards are straight with minimal cracks.
As wood decks age, tension develops due to seasonal shrinkage and splits occur, known as “checks”. All wood is subject to this natural process and a few checks are considered normal. Proper deck maintenance will greatly reduce this force of nature.
Are you a DIYer?
Contact our knowledgeable Wood Care Specialists. They will gladly help you develop a checklist of everything you will need for proper deck maintenance and share expert deck staining tips.
Save $100 in 5 minutes towards your deck refinishing or deck waterproofing project with our Instant Quote.Get Quote
Speak with a wood care specialist.Get Started
Deck Stain Visualizer
Imagine the deck staining possibilities with our visualizer. Use this as the first step in your deck restoration project.Use the Visualizer